Wednesday, April 9, 2008

21!

A couple of weeks ago Heatehr and I went and saw 21 with Justin and Laurie. I loved the movie! It's about card counting and turning the odds in favor of the player in Blackjack. As I was watching the movie I thought, "Being the genius/nerd I am, I could make a computer program that would count cards for me and tell me what the count is at and what the chances of getting each card are." So a couple of nights ago I wrote a program that did just that and it works like a charm. So for all of your enjoyment here is a link to the program. http://www.nrjsurveillance.com/cardCounting.exe.
Instructions for the program: Each time a card is dealt type in the value of that card. 2-9 for 2-9, 10 for 10 & face cards, and 11 for aces. They say you should bet when the true count is +2 but I would wait for +3 to get better odds.

7 comments:

Spencer and Heather said...

NERD!!!!!

Kim Goddard said...

I agree...you are a NERD!!!!

M and N mmm mmm good said...

I tried your program and I'm sorry I don't get it. I thought I was able to play a game. Why do I have to enter the card value?

Spencer and Heather said...

You have to run the program while your playing the game with actual cards. You tell the program what the value of each card is that is drawn and the program will tell you all the data and what the count is at. When the true count is 3 thats when you start to bet bigger and the higher the true count is the bigger you bet.

Brian said...

Does Heather know you went and saw a movie with "heatehr"?

Lynn Thomas said...

Shouldn't your program allow for Aces having a value of either 1 or 11 not just 11?

Kim Goddard said...

Ok...Now you are all NERDS! It is definitely time for an update that doesn't have to do with counting cards!